One of the best summer activities in Alamogordo, New Mexico is the Tailgate Summer Concert Series hosted by the Flickinger Center for Performing Arts. The series takes place in the upper parking lot of the New Mexico Museum of Space History. The museum is on the far edge of town and there is really no better way to enjoy a beautiful night in Alamogordo than overlooking the small town. You can see miles of gypsum sand with the beautiful backdrop of the San Andres mountain behind, all while watching the sunset and listening to beautiful music.
This year’s summer concert tickets are already on sale. You can either buy a parking spot for the whole season or you can get a single or couple pass. Season passes start at $90 and go as high as $180. Walk up single nights are $48 and couple nights are $72.
Concert Series Tailgate
The lower parking lot is used for cars. You can easily share a parking spot between a few friends and/or family members. One way to do is to carpool and someone bring the grill, food, and drinks. Meet in the lower parking lot and then load up one car with chairs, grill, ice chest, and other necessary items, unload and then head back down to park. On a given night you may also get to see lightning off in the distance.
- June 8th: Windy City, Chicago Tribute Band
- June 22nd: Electric Voodoo, world beat Rock’n’Roll, afrobeat, Latin, psych, jazz, blues and more
- July 13th: Yarbrough Band, classic country dance
- July 27th: ShoBizKidz, Steely Dan tribute band
- Aug 10th: Big Band on the Rio Grande, big band jazz and swing
- Aug 24th: Catfishfry Blues Band, old-time blues, Rock’n’Roll and more
The summers can be hot, but the sunsets and low humidity make for a pleasant evening under the stars to listen to a variety of different bands.
Written by: Amanda Huffman